17 February 2006

One Thing at a Time

We've heard a lot in recent years about the glories of multitasking, usually from self-described multitaskers. But the time has come to peel off the congratulatory gold star these dynamos have affixed to themselves and see the practice for what it really is. By definition, multitasking means never doing one thing with full attention. To cite one alarmingly widespread--not to mention dangerous, even lethal--example: driving a car while talking on a cell phone. If you're talking on the phone, you're not paying full attention to driving. If you're driving, you're not giving your full attention to the phone conversation. It's that simple. And if you're on the road and not paying full attention to your driving, you're a danger to me. If you're a danger to me, I want you off the road.

1 comment:

PlumPetals said...

It's ironic that I read your blog today - today, the very day that I decided to stop trying to "multitask" and concentrate on one thing at a time. I used to think I was getting a lot done, until I looked back at all the things I thought I was getting accomplished and found a bunch of half-finished work ... So from now on out, it's one task at a time ...